George Clooney’s high-profile fundraiser for President Barack Obama has sold out, raising an estimated $12 million for the president’s re-election campaign.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, 150 Obama supporters have paid $40,000 each to dine with the president at Clooney’s Los Angeles home on May 10. Those tickets alone raised $6 million. An additional $6 million is expected to come in from individuals who entered a contest that seats winners at the table with Obama and Clooney. The contest, aimed at cultivating grassroots support, asked donors to give as little as $3 to the campaign for a chance at winning two tickets, plus airfare, to the event.
source: huffington post
Watching the VP smile and nod during the State of the Union is priceless! lol…..
The standing up and applauding is probably the most exercise these cabinet members have had in a year!
Republicans finally stood up to applaud jobs…too bad they vote against the bills to create them and fees on banks to pay for them. smh….
SMH… I am about to graduate in May and I already hear Sallie Mae gearing up to call me! BUT Obama said!!! “In the United States of America, no one should go broke because they chose to go to college. And it’s time for colleges and universities to get serious about cutting their own costs – because they too have a responsibility to help solve this problem.” Tuition at my school is $40,000 a year smh….
Anyways…. Here is some of the points/lines he made:
- The bank bailout “It was not easy to do. And if there’s one thing that has unified Democrats and Republicans, it’s that we all hated the bank bailout. I hated it. You hated it. It was about as popular as a root canal.” Uhhhh yeah….
- He also said…”We will not continue tax cuts for oil companies, investment fund managers and those making over $250,000 a year. We just can’t afford it.” We never could afford it.
- Obama gets more laughs: “By now it should be fairly obvious that I didn’t take on health care because it was good politics”
- Obama said Washington is facing a “deficit of trust,” and calls for action on “both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue” to restore credibility.
- Obama calls on Congress to publish all earmark requests on a single Web site before there’s a vote “so that the American people can see how their money is being spent.”
- “I realize that for every success story, there are other stories, of men and women who wake up with the anguish of not knowing where their next paycheck will come from; who send out resumes week after week and hear nothing in response. That is why jobs must be our number one focus in 2010, and that is why I am calling for a new jobs bill tonight.”
- “This year, I will work with Congress and our military to finally repeal the law that denies gay Americans the right to serve the country they love because of who they are.”
- “As a candidate, I promised that I would end this war, and that is what I am doing as President. We will have all of our combat troops out of Iraq by the end of this August. We will support the Iraqi government as they hold elections, and continue to partner with the Iraqi people to promote regional peace and prosperity. But make no mistake: this war is ending, and all of our troops are coming home.
- “I do not accept second-place for the United States of America. As hard as it may be, as uncomfortable and contentious as the debates may be, it’s time to get serious about fixing the problems that are hampering our growth.”
West Point cadets listen to President Barack Obama’s Afghanistan policy speech at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., Dec. 1, 2009. (Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson)
In case you missed it, our President outlined his strategy on Afghanistan and Pakistan from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. last night Read the transcript or watch the full video below.
Read the fact sheet in the following language: English
Did you watch? What did you think? What are YOUR thoughts on Afghanistan?
Ann is at it again…. She stated that all presidential assassination attempts were committed by someone on the left:
As I have not only witnessed in my own life but described in “Guilty”, every presidential assassination or attempted presidential assassination was committed by some kind of left-wing loon, communist, anarchist, communitarian, or they had no politics at all.
Read more at: Huffington
GOP Rep. Joe Wilson has apologized for yelling out “You lie!” to Obama during his health care speech in front of Congress:
This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.
The non-partisan organization FactCheck.org has debunked the claim that health care reform would mandate coverage for illegal immigrants
Obama said today that Wilson apologized “quickly and without equivocation” and the congressman told reporters the shout-out was “spontaneous.”
“We all make mistakes,” Obama told reporters, a day after Wilson stunned the president and his colleagues with his outburst.
Ha! Speaker Pelosi looked like she wanted to punch the guy in the face! SMH!